My name is Bruce Fogerty, and I am a candidate to be the Democratic Party’s contender for DuPage County Auditor in the November 2020 general election.

Why I am Running: 

A few years ago I was perusing the DuPage County Auditor’s website and was reviewing the audit reports and financial information posted thereon. At that time I noticed the most recent report was several years old. I also noticed most of the audits were perfunctory at best. This peaked my interest.

I questioned, via email, the current auditor’s apparent lack of interest in auditing, or at least publishing, the audits of county operations. After a series of emails, the auditor concluded he did not want to expose operational weaknesses in the interest of not prompting future malfeasance. 

After a few internet searches I noticed the IRS, The State of Illinois, and other government agencies routinely publish audit reports in the public domain. I figured if it was good enough for the IRS, it should be good enough for DuPage County. I also concluded, based on my review of the reports which DuPage County did publish, that the current auditor was not conducting what I considered to be particularly robust or creative audits.

I am running to ensure transparency in the County Auditor’s Office. In a time when the word “transparency” is thrown around with little thought, I believe my professional experience and academic training in all things finance will allow me to contribute some walk to the talk. I know transparency because it has been a daily consideration for me each workday for the last 25 years.

I am also running because if elected, I believe my competency in accounting and finance will reflect well on my party.

I invite you to follow my campaign Facebook page at
You can also find my professional profile at http://linkedin.com/in/brucefogerty

My Qualifications: I have over twenty-five years’ of broad experience in accounting, finance, banking, audit, tax, cash management, and accounting software implementation projects in medium to large businesses across several industries. I have also supervised groups of employees, and I have had sole responsibility for executing accounting initiatives across dozens of locations across the US involving more than one hundred of my fellow coworkers.

I hold a BA in political science with a minor study areas of history, business, and accounting. I also hold graduate degrees from both the University of Illinois at Chicago (MBA) and Northern Illinois University (MSA – Taxation).

I am a former adjunct instructor of accounting and taxation. I have taught both undergraduate and graduate students at four area colleges and universities over a continuous period of six years.

While in graduate school I worked as a paid research assistant for the GFOA (Government Finance Officers’ Association) and UIC. While at UIC I did work in the area of public employee pension plans.

I also passed two professional examinations, both of which are inactive. I passed both the Uniform CPA Examination and the Certified Treasury Professional Examination on my first attempt.

Civic & Community Involvement:  My current and past involvement includes doing volunteer and community work with Feed my Starving Children, Habitat for Humanity, DuPage PADS, Big Brothers-Big Sisters, Wheaton North High School Marching Band, The Center for Economic Progress, and Literacy DuPage.

I also served as Wheaton Public Library Board Member, and the Wheaton Historic Commission and served as a union steward during my college years for UFCW 951 at a major food retailer in Grand Rapids.

I have been involved politically as an elected Milton Township Democratic PC. I have worked on many local, state, and national political campaigns throughout DuPage County, including the recently successfully Jefferson Preschool referendum. Politics has been a major interest for me since a very young age.

My Promise to You: If elected, I will conduct the DuPage County Auditor’s Office with integrity, and in a professional, non-partisan manner and will respect other elected county officials regardless of party affiliation.

I will also work to expand the scope of the Auditor’s activities, and conduct financial and operational audits in all areas of county operations in a systematic manner. Risk is very real and needs to be taken seriously. I will work to enhance transparency by publishing all audit reports on the Auditor’s website, including redacted versions of “sensitive” audits that some county auditors in Illinois have chosen not to publish.

I will serve the citizen of DuPage County by working to enhance transparency by holding regular public updates throughout the county about the auditor’s findings and activities.

About me: My family and I have lived in Wheaton for more than 25 years. I have been married for more than 20 years.  I have three grown children who are the products of Wheaton North High School. We are the proud human family of a wonderful two year old Australian cattle dog named “Bibby”. Bibby is named after a contemporary Chicago Rap Star. Please don’t ask me.

For the last 7 + years I have worked as an accounting manager at a food manufacturer near O’Hare Airport. I grew up in Wyoming, Michigan which is a suburb of Grand Rapids. I moved to the Chicago area for graduate school. My hobbies are evening walks, reading any type of book I can get my hands on, and I enjoy all types of music and film. Dystopia and Southern Gothic are favorite genres. I am ecumenical Christian and attend multiple churches in Wheaton, Naperville and Glen Ellyn on a regular basis.