My name is Bill White and I’m running as a Democrat for the office of DuPage County Auditor.

Why I’m Running

For too long, DuPage County has been run by the Republican Party. But change is coming. Change is coming because local Republicans no longer reflect the values and principles of DuPage County residents. I am seeking the office of Auditor to help bring good, Democratic, government to the people of DuPage County.

Good government is transparent, efficient, responsive to the needs of our residents and serves the general welfare. Good government returns fair value in exchange for tax dollars collected from the community. Good government rejects Republican ideology that government is the enemy of the people and that taxation is theft. Good government demands transparency and efficiency while rejecting an ideological commitment to austerity.

I have participated in good government, having served as an elected member of the District 99 Board of Education (including time as board president) and as an elected member of the Downers Grove Village Council (including time as mayor pro tem). I saw and participated with “good government” in action.  

The Role of a County Auditor

Illinois statutory law defines the duties of a county auditor at 55 ILCS 5/3-1005. That section of law includes nine subparagraphs. Having studied the entire statute, I believe the auditor’s mission and purpose is to assure that county government is transparent, efficient, responsive to the needs of our residents, promotes the general welfare and returns fair value in exchange for the taxes collected from the community.

By statute, the duties of auditor call for a “continuous internal audit of operations and financial records” of the county. An audit of operations goes far beyond a technical, financial audit.

To audit county operations, the county auditor needs to understand the larger policy goals and objectives and evaluate whether those goals and objectives are being achieved with efficiency. My prior experience as school board president and as village council mayor pro tem will enable me to grasp the big picture and to connect the ledgers, spreadsheets and financial records with the services being provided to our community.
I believe an elected county auditor should be a vigilant independent watchdog for good government. 

About Me

I am a graduate of Downers Grove South and I earned my bachelor’s degree from the University of Chicago. I received my law degree from Loyola University in Chicago, and I met my wife Karen while we were both enrolled in a Master of Laws in taxation program (LLM) at DePaul University. Karen and I have been married for 29 years and we have two adult children.

I have been in the private practice of law for 35 years and I have handled a variety of litigation matters and transactions. I have substantial experience evaluating, negotiating and enforcing contracts.

I have held two different elected offices, having been elected to the District 99 Board of Education (Downers Grove North & Downers Grove South) and elected to the Downers Grove Village Council. I served as board president at District 99 and as mayor pro tem on the village council.  

I have engaged in public service for decades. I’ve coached youth baseball, taught Saturday morning science enrichment classes, served on various zoning boards for more than 30 years, including time as chair and served as chair of the citizen’s committee that updated the Downers Grove Comprehensive Plan. Most recently. I helped raise money for the DuPage Senior Citizen’s Council by participating in the 2019 Dancing with the Starz charity event.  

My name is Bill White and I’m running as a Democrat for the office of DuPage County Auditor.

Email: Bill@BillWhiteForAuditor.com
Campaign cellphone: (630) 822-8417